1 Month






I can hardly believe that I arrived in the CCM exactly one month ago today. That means I am 1/18 of the way through my mission. Wow. 

This week in the choir we sang the EFY medley in Spanish, which was soooo amazing! Apparently my companion has been pronouncing my name wrong this whole time (Nelson in stead of Nielsen) but I didn't even notice! I didn't even know until someone else in my district pointed it out. I think it's funny that it bothers them more than me! The volunteer that we taught this week was an 18 year old woman who is a member and she wants to serve a mission! She was so sweet, I'm glad that I got to teach her. My companion was very excited to have matching sunglasses with one of the elders in the district (see picture)

The Language is coming along really well for me. I am at the point where I can understand most of the hymns we sing as we sing them. I am having trouble pronouncing people's names because I always want to read them like Spanish words. Though, I'm far from perfect. My favorite mistake of the week: I went to the store and tried to tell the cashier that I had 12 sheets of paper to buy, but I accidentally said 12 children! (hijos rather than hojas...) 

This week I gave my first talk in sacrament meeting (in Spanish of course!) The way that talks work in the CCM, everyone has to prepare a 5 minute talk each week on the given topic, because we don't know whether or not we are speaking until it is announced from the pulpit! Even better, I was the very first speaker, so I had about 30 seconds to mentally prepare myself before I was addressing the branch. Whew. The topic was repentance, and I didn't want to read my whole talk, so the only notes I brought were a list of scripture references about repentance. I'm sure my grammar was far from perfect, but I successfully spoke without any other notes! It was such a cool experience to know enough that I was able to teach by the spirit in another language. It really helped me to see how much I have improved, because I'm sure that I could never have done that a month ago. 

One month in and going strong.








Today we took a picture with Gabriel, the Janitor in our building. He is so nice, we talk to him every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment