Alma 37:6



Last Tuesday we had a "mission tour" with Elder Brent Nielson! He is one of the general authorities over missionary work, and he participated in the world wide mission tour a couple months ago. It was an amazing opportunity to receive some guidance for our mission!

Saturday night Hermana Eardley and I both got really sick, which wasn't fun. I am thankful, though, that it was the first time I've been sick on my mission! (and hopefully the last!)

My favorite part of the week: A man called us over, asked what we were doing, mentioned that he new missionaries several years ago, and then he asked us to come visit his family! That never happens; usually we have to beg to go visit people, haha!

Hermana Eardley got to give a talk in sacrament meeting on Sunday. Her talk was definitely the easiest for me to translate, which made me realize something interesting: As a missionary, I can translate doctrine all day. My gospel vocabulary is almost perfect, but there are other random words that I don't know, that make it difficult for me to translate stories and personal accounts (e.g... fast and testimony meeting.) So, I came up with a theory: The best talks are the ones that are easiest for me to translate, because they are 1) full of doctrine and scriptures, and 2) simple enough that the whole congregation (members and investigators) can understand. Not that there is anything wrong with stories, but that shouldn't be the focus of the talk. So, invitation of the week: when you have to give a talk or share your testimony, say only what would be easy for a not-quite-bilingual missionary to translate!

-- Hermana Nielsen

-This is NOT what April is supposed to look like...



No comments:

Post a Comment